Be The HERO with Reusable Cotton Rounds
How many times have you used makeup remover wipes or cotton rounds to remove makeup? Hundreds? Thousands?
When you think about it, makeup remover wipes are typically sold in 25 or 50 packs. And cotton balls and cotton rounds are often sold in 100 packs.
Therefore, if we consider how many of those we have purchased since or teen years – I’d say THOUSANDS is correct!
I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel wasteful.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience, read the full disclosure policy.
And There’s More,
Did you know cotton is referred to as the world’s “Dirtiest Crop”?
What earned it that title? Cotton only covers 2.5% of cultivated land in the world. Yet, it is responsible for nearly a quarter of the worlds’ insecticide market. And cotton is accountable for 11% of all pesticides sold globally.
That makes me feel even worse about using cotton rounds to remove makeup. Especially, when I’ve used them to remove a smear of mascara or excess eye shadow when I applied too much.
So, a few weeks ago I decided it was finally time I did something about. And, now I feel like a hero every morning.
Related To: Green Living Essentials
Related To: How to Switch to Clean Beauty
Save the World, One Reusable Cotton Round at a Time
Rather you opt to buy them like these organic bamboo rounds or make DIY reusable cotton rounds, you’ll still be doing the planet a favor.
How To Make Reusable Cotton Rounds:
Compared to cotton, bamboo is a natural textile made from the pulp of bamboo grass, not the tree. And it doesn’t require the use of pesticides to grow!
The fun part of making your own it customizing them to your needs. You can make each side extremely soft with bamboo flannel fabric. Or you can make them with bamboo washcloths as I did for scrubby power.
Although, I’ve got a hankering to make a hybrid DIY makeup remover – one side soft bamboo flannel and one side scrubby bamboo washcloth!
The choice is yours… this tutorial will make about 8 reusable cotton rounds. You can adjust the fabric based on your wants.
Here’s what you’ll need:
No Sew Instructions:
- Lay 2 washcloths out on a hard surface.
- Use the mason jar and pencil to trace 4 circles on each washcloth.
- Cut out each circle one by one.
Follow the three steps above for 4 washcloths, resulting in 16 cut circles instead of 8. Then continue on with these steps –
- Layer two circles with right sides together, resulting in 8 stacks.
- Sew around the edge of each stack, leaving a 1-inch opening.
- Cut off excess fabric and threads.
- Turn each cotton round right-side-out. Tuck the excess fabric from your opening in, and top-stitch along the perimeter.
No matter what technique you choose, your cotton rounds are ready to use, again, and again.
How do you clean reusable cotton rounds?
After using my first reusable cotton round, I quickly realized I need to figure out how to clean them. So, let me share a few tips I’ve been using to get the most out of my homemade cotton rounds including how to wash them.
- The easiest way to wash cotton rounds is in the washing machine. I use my homemade laundry detergent for gentle cleaning.
- Before adding to the washing machine place them in a small lingerie or delicates laundry bag to prevent fraying while washing.
- To make them last longer, I like to rinse them out with warm water in the sink to prevent stains before washing.
- Of course, you can also hand wash them right away with castile soap and warm water in the bathroom sink.
Do you have normal, dry, mature, oily, or combination skin? Take our Skin Type Quiz now to discover yours!
You May Also Like:
- Simple Summer Skin Care Routine
- DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner
- 7 Day Challenge to Natural Living
- Green Laundry Tips
I love using these soft, super absorbent DIY reusable cotton rounds. They are easy to use and nothing gets thrown away. And that makes me feel good!
What changes have you been making for a smaller footprint? Pin these easy to make reusable facial rounds for later. And tag #lifenreflection on Instagram to share your natural living journey with us.