My Foolproof Methods to Naturally Clean the Microwave and Oven
After the holiday cooking, winter baking, and soups brimming over our kitchens are ready for a spring clean! One sure sign is a burnt smell every time you turn on the oven. Mostly likely due to crumbs that have been toasting for months! Eww!
Fortunately, spring cleaning doesn’t have to be as intimidating as it sounds.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience, read full disclosure policy.
3 Day Plan to Naturally Spring Clean
This week I’m sharing Clever Strategies to Naturally Spring Clean over the course of 3 days. Today is Day 2 and we’re going to tackle the two things that collect the most grime in our homes.
Did you picture it? The spots and stains in the microwave and layers of grime on the stove top? It’s no surprise they are both found in the kitchen, cooking two to three meals days can really build up grease. No worries, I’ve got you covered with my foolproof methods to naturally clean the microwave and oven.
The Quickest Way to Clean the Microwave
The microwave can get pretty gross and you could spend a chunk of time trying to clean it. Or you can zap it clean with just a few steps to dissolve food splatters without scrubbing. The combination of lemon and steam will de-grease, loosen grime, and nix unpleasant odors.
Have you ever noticed how many cleaning products on the market include lemons on the labels?
Well, there’s a reason for that! Citrus fruits, especially lemons are a powerful cleaning tool. They break down grime, disinfect, and smell amazingly fresh. Find more ways to clean with lemon in my spring article published at the Herbal Academy.
- Pour ½ cup of water into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Slice one lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl and toss in the halves.
- Place the bowl inside the microwave and set the timer for three minutes to allow the water to boil.
- Let stand for five minutes then carefully remove the bowl. Wipe down the inside of the microwave with a cloth and wah-lah!
How to De-grime the Inside of the Oven
We’re going tackle the oven one step at a time, starting with the inside. The inside of the oven should be cleaned every three to six months depending on use. You may want to refer to your oven manual for recommended cleaning.
- Add a 50/50 solution of distilled water and distilled vinegar to the spray bottle.
- Remove oven racks and spray with the vinegar solution. Allow to sit while you working on the other sections.
- As for the brunt crumbs – get out your mini vacuum them up or use a small dustpan to remove.
- Sprinkle the base of the oven with baking soda. Then spray the vinegar solution over the baking soda until light foam forms. Scrub into the sides of the oven and the inside of the oven door. Continue to add baking soda and spray with the vinegar solution until all areas are covered. Allow to sit overnight.
- Return to the oven racks and scrub clean with warm water. Apply more vinegar solution as needed until clean. Allow to dry.
- Wipe the inside of the oven clean the following morning. Let air dry before returning the oven racks.
How to Degrease the Stovetop
Cut through grease with my recipe for a Heavy Duty Natural Kitchen Cleaner. This natural cleaning solution can be applied to countertops, ovens, microwaves, sinks, and more. I use it to clean my stovetop with the degreaser steps below. It works wonders to clean all the grease on icky, sticky burners and knobs.
To use as a natural scrubbing cleaner: Spray surface and add a small amount of water to the area. Scrub surface using a scrub brush. Repeat as necessary and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
To use a natural degreaser: Spray surface and add sprinkle two teaspoons of baking soda over the area. Scrub with a scrub brush and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Are ready to take the plunge and naturally spring clean without chemicals? Join me tomorrow as we de-clutter, refresh, and organize closets! In case you missed finding clever tactics to refresh and revive carpets and rugs from Day 1. Not ready to make your own cleaners? Then grab a free 5 piece Mrs. Meyer’s natural cleaning kit from the Grove Collaborative!