Are You in Need of a Sleep Spray?
It happens to all of us… the clock ticks another minute, another hour, all while you lay there blinking at the darkness under the cloak of night.
Maybe it was a stressful day or maybe you have a lot on your mind. Whatever the reason, we can learn to promote better sleep and prevent restlessness. Using a splash of witch hazel and essential oils for sleep like lavender can help us get an ideal good night’s rest.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience, read the full disclosure policy.
Does lavender spray help you sleep?
Lavender’s aroma has been shown to improve your sleep by a number of ways. Such as slowing down your blood pressure. This, in turn, puts your body into a relaxed state allowing for a more restful sleep according to University of Miami School of Medicine; source.
And in another study by Psychologists at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, researchers monitoring sleep cycles discovered lavender increased slow-wave sleep.
So, yes, lavender is an effective natural sleep aid. And one of the easiest ways to clear your mind and nod off for a more restful slumber is with a lavender sleep spray.
Related: Sleep Tight Bath Salts
Related: Creative Lavender Uses
But, lavender isn’t the only essential oil for sleep. In fact, there are several and you create a powerful sleep spray using a combination of them.
Here’s a quick list of the best sleepy oils:
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil
- Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) essential oil
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) essential oil
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) essential oil
- Bergamot (Citrus aurantium bergamia) essential oil
- Roman Chamomile(Chamaemelum nobile) essential oil
- Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) essential oil
- Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides) essential oil
How to make a Soothing Sleep Spray:
Ready to create a DIY sleep spray to chill, relax, and ultimately sleep better? Each recipe promotes relaxation and a deeper sleep starting with witch hazel a plant-based topical ingredient commonly extracted through steam distillation from the bark and leaves of the witch hazel plant.
It is a powerful antioxidant that restores the PH balance of your skin among other benefits. We recommend Thayer’s witch hazel as it’s alcohol-free and doesn’t dry out the skin. And it comes in several varieties like coconut water and lavender. Learn how to choose the best witch hazel for your skin type in our Clean Beauty Bootcamp.
Following witch hazel, add purified water instead of tap water to keep bacteria out of your sleep spray. And last, add a sleepy blend of essential oils. Here’s how –
Base Sleep Spray Ingredients and Supplies:
How to make a Sleep Spray:
- Using a funnel pour 1/2 cup of witch hazel into a spray bottle. (A spray bottle with a fine mist is recommended.)
- Next, remove the funnel and add essential oils from the sleep spray blend options below. Carefully swirl the ingredients in the bottle to blend.
- After place the funnel back into the spray bottle and fill the remaining with an approximately ½ cup of purified water.
- Last remove the funnel again and place the nozzle and cap on the spray bottle. Gently shake to infuse your sleep spray.
3 Easy Lavender Sleep Spray Recipes
#1 Lavender Fields
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops ylang ylang essential oil
#2 Silent Slumber
- 5 drops roman chamomile
- 5 drops geranium
- 10 drops lavender
#3 Midnight Meadow
- 8 drops vetiver
- 8 drops lavender
- 4 drop frankincense
- 4 drop cedarwood
Related: 10 Incredible Bath Soak Recipes
Related: Sleep Better and Faster
Shake lightly before each use and avoid contact with eyes. Lightly mist one of these non-greasy and quick absorbing lavender sleep sprays onto your face or chest just before bed. Each potent essential oil blend will help you fall asleep fast.